Students understand that:
- the only purpose for school computers is to support teaching and classroom learning.
- the school will do its best to keep them safe while using the computer and the Internet. They know that they are not permitted to access material through the Internet which is offensive (e.g. pornographic), dangerous, inappropriate at school, or illegal.
- they are forbidden to pass on such material by copying, storing or printing it.
- if they use email at school, they are not permitted to send any messages which are offensive, dangerous, inappropriate at school, or illegal.
- they may use the Internet or email at school during class times or when a teacher is present.
Students understand how important it is to:
Take care of Information Technology resources such as computers and the Internet.
- Be careful with equipment.
- Respect the copyrights on software that prohibit copying.
Be considerate of other users.
- Be careful not to waste computer resources, e.g. paper.
- Avoid disruption of the running of any computer or network.
- Take care not to scan or display graphics, record or play sounds, or type messages which could cause offence to others.
- Remove immediately from the screen any material that would not be allowed at the school which they accidentally come across and tell the teacher immediately.
Be responsible for privacy and security.
They will not give anyone on the internet information about them self or anyone else – this includes address, phone number, photograph or credit card information. They will tell the teacher if they come across a virus or security problem.