As part of our Christian base, we have a daily assembly with a reading and a prayer.
This reinforces the values teaching. We have a special service at Easter and Christmas when the story of Christ is told by the girls through singing, drama, art, readings and prayer.
St John’s is an integrated school with special character as set out in the 1990 Deed of Integration.
The essential elements are:
- St John’s is an interdenominational Christian school. It has annual Easter and Carol Services and a daily religious assembly.
- The small roll and family atmosphere is fostered by the provision of a boarding establishment to serve the rural community of Southland.
- The provision of a full range of extra curricular activities for all pupils to encourage each pupil to develop to their full potential.
- The provision of a curriculum to promote independence and self-reliance.
- Active participation by all parents/caregivers in school activities.
- Education as members of a supportive family group.
- High standard of etiquette and behaviour, including compulsory wearing of uniform.
- Curriculum and teaching methods which encourage a sound intellectual and moral education with emphasis on literacy, numeracy, social awareness, community interaction, homework, outdoor education, physical education, sciences, computer studies and all cultural subjects such as art, dance, music, speech and drama.